BARTON ROAD (west side) Home Farm Cottage GV ll Cottage, 1888. Brick, plain-tiled roof. Square in plan, One and a half storeyed with central door in east elevations flanked by 3-light casement windows with round arched heads. Similar paired windows in side walls. Central stack. Linked to rear right with a small octagonal single celled structure with ribbed polygonal roof and loggia carried on wood posts with curved bracing linking them. Former dairy to Bosworth Hall.
BARTON ROAD (west side) Barns at Home Farm Cottage GV II Range of stables or barns, 1888. Brick with Welsh slate hipped roofs. Forms three sides of a courtyard, the rear of which forms a blind wall to the street, articulated by pairs of blank arches with stone kneelers and keys which are continued in a boundary wall to the south. One contains the date and a monogram in terracotta. Tiny wood cupola to roof. Terracotta vents in each arch. On the inner faces of the three ranges, doorways and windows all have round arched heads forming arcading.
BARTON ROAD (east side) Milepost opposite Hillrise GV II Milepost. Early C19. Cast iron. Circular iron post with single band and moulded domed top. Attached curved cast iron plate inscribed:- MILES BURTON – 17 MEASHAM – 6
BOSWORTH – 1 This milepost stands just to the south of the boundary between the parishes of Market Bosworth and Carlton.
Listing NGR: SK4020004900
CHURCH STREET (north side) No. 5 GV II House. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, four bays with one bay to left of doorway which has wood architrave and radial fanlight, and is reached up steps with wrought iron handrails. The ground floor windows are 20-pane sashes, the first floor lights have 16 panes and all have flat splayed heads. Dentilled eaves cornice. Gable end stacks.
CHURCH STREET (north side) The Grey House GV II House. Early C19. Render over brick with Welsh slate roof. Two storeyed, four bays with one bay to the left of door which, with radial fanlight is contained in an architrave with moulded console brackets. Windows on each floor are 12 pane sashes with flat heads in plaster architraves. Parapet front with cornice band. Gable end stacks.
CHURCH STREET (east side) Church of St. Peter GV II* Parish church. Exterior largely Decorated (early C14) but some earlier internal features. Coursed and squared limestone with ashlar dressings. West tower and spire, nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. West tower of three stages with clasping buttresses and tall paired foiled bell chamber lights in deep embrasures. Embattled parapet with tiny angle pinnacles. Recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Embattled parapet to aisle and clerestory. Wide coped gabled porch to south door. Windows of aisle and clerestory are in the Decorated style of three lights with slightly trefoiled heads. Chancel windows are high and short. One is incorporated above the priest’s door. Plain parapet with gargoyles to cornice. Wide C.15 east window of five lights. Stair turret in north east angle of nave and chancel. Inside, restored in the “scrape’ tradition. C13 tower arch, steep and narrow and deeply moulded. Nave arcade of four bays to north and south: slender clustered cylindrical shafts and hollow and roll moulded arches: the central shaft continuing to articulate the clerestory. On the aisle side, this central shaft is of wood, forming part of the former roof structure. Angel corbel-heads to C15 roof with shallow cambered ties. Wide chancel arch with slim cylindrical shafts and outer hollow chamfer. Paired lights in the east nave wall above it. In the south east angle of the north aisle is a projecting angled stair turret to former rood with ogee arched doorway. Openwork wood Victorian screen, richly wrought. Mosaic floor to chancel. 5-light east window is flanked by empty statue niches. Sedilia with fan vaulting. North and south windows are high and low but contained in full height in braziers. Monuments: in the north aisle a marble black and white sarcophagus wall tablet surmounted by a single column, commemorating Sir Wolstan Dixie d.1767. In the chancel in a north window recess a reclining female figure is the wife of John Dixie d.1846. Stained glass: simple emblems in the clerestory. Gaudy narrative in the south aisle of 1904. Stained glass saints in the windows above the chancel arch. In the chancel east window undated glass by Kempe, darkly coloured, depicting the Annunciation of the Birth of Christ in a landscape, with architectural niches and saints in towers above. Font is an octagonal basin with ornate recessed traceried panels where traces of paint linger on the shields: four filletted shafts support it, probably C14. Wrought iron font cover of the C19.
COTON LANE (north west side) Coton Priory Farmhouse GV II House. Origins in C16, restored c1905. Timber framed with brick nogging, some laid in herringbone courses, on limestone plinths, some of the brickwork renewed. Plain tiled roof. Main range of three bays with cross wing to left, and central jettied full height gabled porch. Canted bay window to its left, other windows 2-light casements with leaded panes, grouped in pairs. Upper windows of two light casements contained beneath gabled dormers. Framing is in square panels with some decoration, principally in porch and left hand wing. Side wall of wing comprises tall narrow panels. Deep outshut to rear. Gable and axial stacks. Building is peripheral to the site of the deserted Mediaeval village of Coton and its chapel, though its own origins are obscure.
COTON LANE (north west side) Former Dairy at Coton Priory Farm GV II Dairy. Early C20. Brick with plain tiled roof. Octagonal with conical roof capped by weather vane. Door and window openings placed on alternate faces, with cambered brick heads. Cornice above them. Four gabled dormers within the roof.
COTON LANE (north west side) Outbuilding at Coton Priory Farm GV II Range of outbuildings, reputedly formerly cottages. Origins in the early C17. Timber framed with brick panel infill, on limestone plinth with plain tiled roof. Framed in tall narrow panels (20 x 2) with long raking braces at angles. The timber is of thin scantling. Four ground floor windows and doorways, three gabled dormers in the roof.
COTON LANE (north west side) Farm buildings at Coton Priory Farm. GV II Range of farm buildings, forming courtyard. Late C19. Brick with plain tiled roofs, renewed in part by concrete tiles. Right hand range is stabling with cambered heads to doors and windows and coped gable corbelled out with bullseye window in apex. This is matched by taller gable of left hand range, which has loading door also. This range forms a cart shed with store above: square brick piers form 4 bays, with chamfered lintel. Cross range arid a slightly later parallel range in front of it are cowsheds etc. The infill range has three sets of double doors. Inside the rear range slim turned posts lightly support principal roof trusses. The end ranges are linked across the front of the yard by a brick wall with stone copings that curves up to central piers; ball finials.
MAIN STREET (west side) No. 1 (formerly listed as No 1 excluding modern block addition at rear) GV II Shop and dwelling. Late C18 or early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, two bays but the ground floor completely taken up by a modern shop front. Pair of two light casement windows above with vertical brick heads. Rear wing, stack on right hand gable. Included for group value.
MAIN STREET (West Side) No. 3 (formerly listed as House on West Side of High Street) GV II House. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, three bays with central six panelled door in pedimented architrave flanked by tripartite sash windows in moulded wood architraves. Upper windows of 16 pane sashes (12 panes over door) with flat vertical brick heads. Gable end stacks.
MAIN STREET (East Side) Nos. 4 & 6 GV II Pair of shops and houses. Late C18. Brick with plain tile roofs. Three storeyed each a single unit plan though the ground floor now forms a single shop front with central doorway. 12 pane sashes above with cambered brick heads. Projecting sill bands. Moulded eaves cornice. Gable and axial stacks.
MAIN STREET (East Side) Nos. 10 & 12 GV II Pair of shops and dwellings. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roofs. 3 storeyed, No. 10 is of two bays, No. 12 of three. No. 10 has doorway to right and C19 shop front to left with dentilled band to fascia-and consoles to architrave. 3-light casement windows above, all renewed and original openings with cambered brick heads. No. 12 has central 6 panelled door with radial fan in steer) pedimented architrave flanked by 3-light casement windows. 2 lights over door. Gable end stacks.
MARKET PLACE (West Side) Nos. 4 & 6 GV II Pair of houses. Late C18. Brick with plain tiled roofs. Three storeyed. No. 6 of two bays, No. 4 of three. No. 6 has doorway to right with round arched radial fan above. 16 pane sash windows on each floor to left, blind window spaces above doorway. Gable end stack. No. 4 has central 6 panelled doorway in open pedimented architrave with symmetrical cylindrical shafts. Flanking 16 pane sash windows have flat arched heads. Brick sill bands across both properties.
MARKET PLACE (South Side) No. 20 GV II Offices premises, formerly dwelling. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, three bays with central door flanked by 3-light wood mullion and transomed windows with cambered brick heads. Deep eaves blind. Gable end stacks.
MARKET PLACE (North East Side) The Wheatsheaf GV II Pair of shops, formerly inn, with central entry to rear courtyard. Late C18, much altered and with earlier core. Rough cast over brick, with Welsh Slate roof. C16 timber framing of post and truss construction in rear wing. Central square headed wide entry to rear, doorway and shop and window to right, window to left, all C20. Upper windows are renewed in earlier openings with flat splayed heads. Axial stack.
MARKET PLACE (North East Side) No. 9 GV II Shop with dwelling over. Early C19, but probably with earlier core. Rendered over brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, 2 bays with modern shop front to left and smaller modern window to right. Upper windows are 16 pane sashes. Overhanging eaves. Three hipped gabled dormers in roof. Gable end stack. Traces of timber roof trusses exposed in gable wall.
MARKET PLACE (North East Side) The Old Black Horse Public House GV II Public House, formerly dwellings, and built in two distinct parts. The earliest has possible C16 core but was extensively altered in the early C19. Rough cast over brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed throughout. Left hand section has four bays with sash windows with flat splayed heads on each floor and a doorway to the left. Right hand section of three bays each with a coped gable with ball finials. 16 pane sash windows on each floor and doorway to right of centre. Continuous string course rises to form hood moulds to upper windows. Gable and axial stacks.
MARKET PLACE (North East Side) No. 19 to 23 (odd) (formerly listed as Range of three attached cottages at South End of Market Place GVII Row of three dwellings. Late cl7. Timber framed with brick panel infill on limestone plinth. Thatched roof. Possibly built as two pairs of dwellings since the framing is interrupted floor and roof levels are discontinuous. Tall panelling sub divided in places by thin struts. 7 bays, with casement windows and plank doorways. 4 eyebrow dormers above with leaded lights. Gable and axial stacks.
MARKET PLACE (North East Side) No. 25 GV II Cottage, formerly two dwellings. Late C18. Brick with plain tiled roof. Outer doorways, that to left now blocked, and inner 2–light casement windows, all openings with cambered brick heads. Axial stack. Included for group value.
GV II Telephone kiosk. Type K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various contractors. Cast iron. Square kiosk with domed roof. Unperforated crowns to top panels and margin glazing to windows and door.
PARK STREET (South Side) No. 26 GV II Cottage. Probably early C18, with possible earlier core. Render over brick with shingle roof. One and a half storeyed, 2 unit plan with central door flanked by small canted bay windows. Three gabled dormers above. Gable end stacks.
PARK STREET (North Side) No. 31 GV II House, possibly School Master’s House. Circa 1840. Yellow brick, with plain tiled roof. A narrow two bays, and 2 and a half storeyed. Doorway to right with two-centred arch beneath flat parapet to porch. Canted bay window to the left, and casement windows of 2 and 3-lights above, with a 2-light window within the gabled attic. All have drop ended hood moulds arid ornate latticed glazing. Gable end stacks. Included for group value.
RECTORY LANE The Old Rectory GV II Rectory. 1849. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roof with stone coped gable ends: Brick axial and gable end stacks. Double depth plan of 2 parallel ranges with central entrance hall and with service wing to right (west). Tudor style. 2 storeys. 3:3 bay north front. Symmetrical 3-bay main range to left, the centre in -gabled projection with moulded stone 4-centred arch doorway with hoodmould and shallow oriel above with 3-light mullion transom window. Cross-mullion transom windows to left and right with margin glazing bars. Service wing set back on right, similarly gabled at centre and with smaller cross mullion transom windows with glazing bars. Rear garden front (south), centre of main range recessed slightly at centre with oriel over doorway. 2-storey canted bay window to right, and gabled projection to left with shallow bay window on ground floor with large 4-light mullion transom window, and 3-light window above with nowy-headed hood-mould. Service wing set back slightly to left with 2 mullion transom windows on ground floor and smaller 2-light sashes on first floor, all with glazing bars. Interior: Moulded plaster arch across hall which has large open well, moulded string staircase at back with twisted balusters and panelled newels with ogee finials and pendants. Most of the original joinery survives including panelled doors and there are some marble chimneypieces. The north east ground floor room has large safe with iron door built into the wall.
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 1 (formerly listed with Nos. 2, 4 & 6 Market Place) GV II House and Shop. Late C18. Brick with plain tiled roof. Three storeyed, five bays the left hand with blind openings. Doorway with six panelled door in reeded architrave with curving consoles to canopy. Windows are 12 pane sashes with cambered brick heads. Sill bands. Moulded eaves cornice. Gable end stacks. Three wide 16 pane sashes on each floor in side elevation.
STATION ROAD (South Side) Nos. 3 & 5 GV II House, formerly two dwellings and with former shop. Late C18. Brick with Swithland slate roof. Two storeyed, three bays with doorway to right beneath round arched head, balancing similar door to left now disused. Left hand window is a curving bay former shop window with small panes. 2-light horizontally sliding sash with flat splayed head beyond. Upper windows are of 2-lights with upper opening panes. Dentilled eaves. Gable end stacks.
STATION ROAD (South Side) Nos. 7, 9 & 11 GV II Row of three houses. Late C18. Brick with Swithland slate roofs. Three storeyed, each a single unit plan with doorway to right with round arched plastered tympanum above. 2-light casement window alongside it. No. 11 has 2-light wood mullion and transomed window with flat splayed heads, but window to No. 9 is renewed. 2-light casement windows to upper floors with vertical brick heads. Stacks against right hand wall of each dwelling. Dentilled eaves cornice.
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 13 (Glebe Farmhouse) GV II House. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, three bays, the central section advanced. Doorway on inner side of right hand bay with overlight. Windows are of three lights with wood mullions and transoms, and small panes. Drop ended hood moulds over them. Cornice band and moulded eaves. Gable and axial stacks.
STATION ROAD (South Side) Nos. 17 & 19 GV II Pair of houses. Circa 1830. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, each of two units with central 4-centred arched doorway with hood mould over. Two light mullioned and transomed windows, with small panes to No. 17. These also have hood moulds as do the upper 2-light horizontally sliding sash windows. Moulded eaves cornice. Gable end stack
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 21 GV II House. Late C18. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two and a half storeyed, four bayed, the right hand bay containing a blocked doorway with cambered head. One bay to left of existing doorway which is flanked by 3-light casement windows. Left hand bay seems a separate build and has an extra attic storey. Gable end stacks.
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 23 GV II House. Late C18. Brick with plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, 2 unit plan central door flanked by 2-light casement windows renewed in original openings with cambered brick heads. Gable end stacks.
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 25 GV II House. Mid C18. Brick, rendered over, with plain tiled roof with band of fish-scale tiles. 2-storeyed, single unit plan with doorway to left: and renewed lower window. 2-light horizontally sliding sash window above. Stack shared with-No. 27.
STATION ROAD (South Side) No. 27 GV II House. Mid C18. Rendered over brick with some timber framing. Plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, single unit plan with doorway to right and 16-pane sash window to its left. Both with cambered brick heads. Single upper window is a 2-light horizontally sliding sash. Curved principal roof truss visible in gable apex.
STATION ROAD (South Side) Nos. 18 & 21 Westhaven Court (formerly listed as Westhaven Home) GV II Row of 4 houses, formerly workhouse. 1836. Brick, Swithland slate roof. 2-storeyed, 9 bays (3-3-3), the central three projecting beneath a pedimented gable. Doorways at inner edge of outer bays. All windows are 12 pane sashes with flat splayed heads. Painted sill band. To the left a tall single storeyed block is the former Board Room, a later C19 addition of brick with stone dressings. Buttresses articulated into three bays, but the windows only occupy the lower parts of their embrasures. Modillion eaves cornice, dormer windows. Slatted wood cupola surmounting the roof. Door in canted bay forms link with main block.
STATION ROAD (North Side) Former Grammar School GV II Former School. Dated 1828. Limestone Ashlar with plain tiled roof. Tall two storeyed, 7 bays in two parts, (4-3). Left hand section is symmetrical about a pedimented central gable with angle turrets, containing the entrance which is a 4-centred archway beneath hood mould with foiled lancet above. Gothick detailing throughout. Windows have stone mullions and transoms and hood moulds and are of 3 and 4-lights in the left hand section and of 2-lights to the three storeyed right hand three bays. All windows have latticed metal glazing. Parapet with fretted decoration. Wood cupola above gable and a clock in its apex. Over the doorway is an inscription in Latin and Greek and with the date.
STATION ROAD (North Side) Aylesbrook Cottage GV II Cottage. Early C18. Render over brick, with thatched roof. One and a half storeyed, two unit plan with doorway to left centre and flanking casement windows for 2 and 3-lights. 2-light casement windows in eyebrow dormers above. Gable end stacks.
STATION ROAD (North Side) Former Bank GV II Bank, now school. c1904. Designed by T H Whinney, of Whinney Son & Austen Hall. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible. Deep ashlar base with chamfered plinth, moulded first floor band and very deeply moulded and dentilated eaves cornice. EXTERIOR. 2 storey, 4 window street front, has windows arranged 3:1. To right single doorway with moulded ashlar surround topped with flat hood supported on brackets. Double panel outer door and overlight with oval glazing. Above a single 9-pane glazing bar sash in a moulded ashlar surround with bracketed sill. To the left 3 closely spaced windows, all in linked and slightly projecting ashlar surrounds. The central window has 16-pane glazing bar sash with projecting surround of flanking Ionic threequarter columns supporting a pediment. Either side single 12-pane glazing bar sashes with continuous entablature above. Above a central 12-pane glazing bar sash flanked by single 9-pane sashes, all in moulded ashlar surrounds. Cornice topped by open balustraded parapet. This is a fine example of an Edwardian bank building.
SUTTON LANE (West Side) Pump GV II Pump. Early C19. Cast iron with segmental cap and decorative panels cast in. Curved handle and short spout.
SUTTON LANE (East Side) No. 9 GV II House. Probably formerly two dwellings. Late C17. Timber framed and rendered over panel infill although this is probably brick. Thatched roof. One and a half storeyed, three bays framed in square panels with some straight arched bracing sub-divided into smaller panels by lesser studs. Ground floor fenestration is largely renewed. Two eyebrow dormers above. Doorway in gable wall.
THE PARK Screen wall in front of hall GV II Screen wall, railings and gates in front of hall. Late C18. Low brick wall supporting wrought iron railings, with piers at intervals capped by urns. Central double wrought iron gates with segmental overthrow.
THE PARK Screen wall to garden of hall GVIIScreen wall, railings and gate to south of house. Late C18. Low stone terrace with balusters and central gate piers with ball finials flanking wrought iron gates with segmental overthrow. Terrace continues to east as simple brick wall.
THE PARK The Iron Bridge GV II Bridge over moat. Late C19. Suspension-type construction. Iron chain link suspending bands and decorative rail beneath with sunflower motifs and arches. Four cast iron posts at each end, moulded, and capped by bail finials, with smaller posts beyond linked from top to base of main post by pair of spiral cast-iron bracing members. Each end of the bridge is supported on blue brick piers with moulded stone copings.
THE PARK Southern bridge over Moat GV II Bridge. Late C19. Brick base with stone fretted balustrade and rail. Central fielded panel with arms on external face. Blank panels to terminal piers. Formerly carried main drive to south front of house.
THE PARK Triumphal arch in Walled Garden GV II Arch, formerly the entrance to now demolished orangery. Limestone ashlar, with squared piers supporting paired lesser piers with volutes to each side of the segmental archway which has foliate swags in the spandrels.
THE PARK Game Larder GV II Small game larder. Late C19. Wood, with shingle roof. Delicate octagonal structure raised on curving legs, with diagonal plank panelling in each facade beneath two tiers of paired round headed openings.
THE PARK Ice House GV II Ice house. Early C19. Brick structure with angled entrance tunnel, now largely earth covered.
THE PARK Dogs Grave GV II Grave of dog, Smut, d1876. Stone. Tall pier raised on pedestal with stoops carrying carved doves at angles, it bears an inscription and a poem written by the dog’s owner, Florence Dixie. Capped by wide shallow bowl also with carved doves.
THE PARK The Hercules Monument Monument C18. Coursed rubble pedestal supports a statute of Hercules.
THE PARK Bosworth Park Infirmary GV II* (Now Bosworth Hall Hotel) Country house, now hospital. Largely of c1680-90 but with alterations of C1837-50 and additions principally in stable courtyards of 1885. Brick with ashlar dressings throughout, low pitched slate hipped roofs, probably C1837-50. Two storeyed. Entrance front raised on a terrace with stone balustrades and central flight of steps, is of nine bays (3-3-3). The central three bays project beneath a pediment with modillions, and tall fluted pilasters, and a shield of arms in the gable. Stone fluted pilasters mark the principal angles. Doorways and projecting central porch with broken segmental pediment and wrought iron fanlight above double doors. Windows are 15 pane sashes with flat arched gauged brick heads. South elevation raised on terrace with brick retaining wall with stone copings is of 11 bays (4-3-4) again with pedimented centre piece, the central bay of which is given further expression by stone pilasters and an open pediment to each window case. Shield of arms in gable. Internal detail spans a range of styles from the original house through to the major alterations of 1885. As an original survival, the staircase is notable, with moulded rail capped by ramified urns above the newels and slim turned balusters. It has however been re-arranged to form a straight flight. Raised and fielded panelling throughout may also be original work, but plaster ceilings which are largely heavy floral swags forming panels, though with some lighter motifs including strap work and pendants in one principal upper room is largely of 1885. Other detailing seems also to belong to this period, but some fireplaces are of the 18th century, and grisaille panels over some upper doorways are of the later C18. The entrance hall is completely of 1885 in a Tudor style with panelled ceilings and stone fireplace with carved wood over mantle. In the cellar are two doors removed from Newgate Prison cells in 1903. Stable courtyard to north of house is almost entirely of 1885 in a Dutch style with principal range to the north articulated by pilasters with a central shaped Dutch gable.
THE PARK Two Horse Memorials GV II Two memorials to horses. Late C19. Limestone and granite. Tall narrow limestone rubble pyramid on a rough square base, with 2 plaques on one face. The upper plaque inscribed:- TRUMPS, CHARGER OF CAPT NORTON LEGG ARC the lower plaque is illegible. Small round headed, tapering granite stone has low inscription: – IN MEMORY OF SCOTS GREY 10 SEASONS WITHOUT A FALL BORN 1878, DIED 1892 TRUSTY STEED, A FAITHFUL FRIEND GOOD JOURNEY TO THE END Both these memorials were probably erected by Charles Tollemache-Scott who owned Bosworth Park at this time.
WARWICK LANE(north side) No. 11 Warwick House GV II Police station, now house. 1848, converted late C20. Red brick with painted ashlar dressings, slate roofs and brick gable stacks. EXTERIOR. 2 storey, 4 window front arranged 3:1. 3 window section to left has broad pilasters at either end and narrower pilasters between, plus dentilated brick first floor and eaves bands between pilasters. Central projecting single storey porch with stepped gable and chamfered ashlar coping, panelled door in double chamfered surround with above a chamfered panel inscribed WARWICK HOUSE. Either side single iron framed cross casements with interlocking diamond pattern glazing, and above three 2-light iron casements with similar glazing. Single window section to right slightly set back with a similar 2-light casement to each floor. Rear has paved yard and 2 original police cells with their original cell doors.
WARWICK LANE Nos. 2 & 4 GV II Farmhouse, now pair of cottages. Mid C18, with minor C20 alterations. Red brick with C20 concrete tile roof and 3 brick stacks. Deep rendered plinth. EXTERIOR. 2 storey. Gable wall to street has off-centre 2-light casement with segment head and above a 2-light glazing bar casement with wooden lintel. South front 5 windows, with three 3-light glazing bar casements with segment heads flanked by single casement windows. Above two C20 casements to left and 2 irregular casements to right. Beyond to left a lower wing with a single casement window to the upper floor. North front single storey with various casement windows and doors plus 4 gabled 2-light dormer windows above.
CADEBY THE PARK Gate Piers to Bosworth Park (Formerly listed as Set of four gate-pier on roadway near East Lodge)
GV II Four gate piers forming gateway to park. Probably late C19, but in style of C17. Rusticated limestone ashlar. Taller inner piers have fluted applied shafts with scrolled volutes on inner face. Ramified capping urns above cornice. Smaller outer piers are similarly detailed, but with ball finials.
CADEBY THE PARK (North Side) Number 163 GV II House, or lodge to Bosworth Park, circa 1890 in a neo-Dutch style. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Square in plan, symmetrical about each axis, each elevation comprising an ornate Dutch gable. Doorway in bolection moulded architrave flanked by 4-light stone mullioned arid transomed window, and capped by one also, above a cartouche of stone with scrolled volutes. Side elevations each also contain 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. Hipped roof rises to central stack with terracotta panels and stone decorative bands. Stone modillion eaves cornice.
CADEBY BOSWORTH ROAD (North Side) Bull in the Oak GV II Farmhouse. Late C18 with C19 rear addition. Brick with plain tiled roof. One and a half storeyed, 2 unit plan with central doorway in gabled porch, flanked by casement windows of 2 and 3-lights, with cambered brick heads. Upper casement windows are set beneath small gabled dormers with applied timbered decoration. Dentilled eaves cornice. Gable and axial stacks.
CADEBY CHURCH LANE (North East Side) Church of All Saints GV II* Small parish church. Late C13, with some C15 work, restored. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, and plain tiled roof. Small west tower over nave roof, short south aisle, and chancel. Tower is timber framed and tile hung with wood traceried bell chamber lights and pyramidal roof. Victorian Decorated-style window in its west wall. South door in Victorian gabled porch. Angle buttresses to nave and aisle, which has Perpendicular windows, drop–ended hoodmoulds with corbel heads. Their tracery is of two lights, trefoiled ogee work. East window of aisle is reticulated, Decorated tracery of 3-lights. Chancel is rendered over limestone rubble in the south wall, cobble to the east, with C15 windows, renewed in east and north. North windows are also C15, two of them renewed. Inside, the tower sits within the western bay of the nave, an almost self-supporting timbered structure : thick squared corner posts have braces to tie beams and struts which tie into the outer stone walls, in a construction reminiscent more of Essex than Leicestershire. Restored in the “scrape” tradition throughout. Nave arcade of two bays, C13, with filleted cylindrical shafts and flat octagonal abaci ornamented with simple foliate emblems in relief. Roll-moulded chamfered arches. Nave roof may be Mediaeval : common rafter roof lavishly timbered with sweeping curved braces. Principal rafter or truss only marks division with chancel, Queenpost construction with raking struts springing from corbels. Another similar roof truss in the chancel indicates its different construction period. South west chancel window is contained within a chamfered embrasure with trefoiled arched head. Foiled Piscines. Heavily varnished pitchpine Victorian fittings throughout.
CADEBY CHURCH LANE (South Side) Church Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse. Late C16 or early C17. Timber framed with partial brick infill and plain tiled roof. Two storeyed, main range and crosswing plan. Main range of 6 bays framed in large square panels with some arched bracing and sections of sill visible though some of the timberwork is rendered over. Doorway in right hand bay. Casement windows. Two blank bays to the left. Cross wing has jowled corner posts and steep brick arch to lower casement windows. Gable and axial stacks.
CADEBY CHURCH LANE (South West Side) Farm Buildings at Church Farm GV II Range of farm buildings enclosing courtyard to right and in front of farmhouse. Early C19. Brick with plain tiled roof. Comprises three linked buildings, taller single bay to left with chimney, then stable or loose box, its doorway flanked by small windows. Three steeply arched stable doors in right hand section.
CADEBY MAIN STREET (South East side) Church Cottage GV II Cottage, partially early C16 the rest rather later, perhaps C17 or early C18. The earliest part is timber framed throughout with brick panel infill and plain tiled roof replacing thatch. Main range and cross wing plan, the wing forming the earlier part, cruck framed. The full height cruck is raised on a cobble plinth with tie beam and collar and saddle at apex. Spurs to angle posts. Close studding infill. Renewed casement windows. Main range of two units, with central doorway in new porch with steeply brick-arched heads to flanking 3-light casement windows. Two eyebrow dormers above. Two axial stacks, one behind entry.